Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Avengers Nails, Coffee Stained Paper

Sorry I missed two weekends!  The semester is wrapping up for me, my camera's on the fritz, and I've been applying for jobs.  I think those are decent excuses.

I will hopefully be able to post a couple of crafts this weekend, but to make up for the dry spell I have my roommate's nails!


Guess what movie she has midnight premier tickets for?  She's so proud of herself, and we have plans to paint our mascot on our nails for graduation.  Everyone will be ultra jealous.



And more on the crafty(ish) side, I made these for a class of mine.  I did a project in a group where we taught other students about Ronald Morrish's philosophy.  We had a pirate theme, and I was doing consequences.  My station was called "Walk the Plank!"  It was completely adorable, and the first time I've ever done stained paper.

Here's what you need:
-One pot of coffee (I used instant)
-One cookie sheet
-One hair dryer or the patience and space for laying them out and letting them dry

Steps:
1.  Make a pot of very strong coffee.
2. Pour the coffee into the cookie sheet.
3. Take your paper and lay it flat in the cookie sheet.  Make sure you submerge it.  Let it sit for a little while.
4. Take out the paper and use the hair dryer to dry it.  While doing this, have another sheet of paper in the coffee.
5.  Repeat until you're all set!

This will get you a basic piece of stained paper.  I took it one step further and burned the edges.  This was a very tedious process because I was scared to death of catching my apartment on fire.  I slowly brought the paper back and forth above the flame of a candle, keeping it a few cm above the flame.  This takes a LONG time, but it adds so much!

And there you go!  I hope this makes you all a little bit okay with my break, and I will be sure to put a more sufficient post up this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment